Wednesday 27 October 2010

Keeping mum

Hi once again and apologies for the delay in posting an update. In the words of John Lennon "life is what happens while you're busy making other plans" - and I've had a busy ten days playing both daddy and mummy to my daughters as my wife recovers from a minor-ish operation. How am I doing? Cooking - yes I can; cleaning - yes, I can; ironing - no I can't!

It's a tough call - but I'm still wearing Eleanor Rigby's smile!

Now back to The Valkyrie Sagas.....

Loads happening all around, but for me it's a brief period of thumb-twiddling . The third book in the series - Odin's Curse - is currently being proofed and the artwork is progressing. As soon as I get a rough sketch for the cover I'll be updating the website. Target deadlines for both are this side of Christmas so fingers crossed.

Book four - Heroes & Halos - draft manuscripts are with my guinea pigs and early murmurings are very favourable. "Best so far" comments reinforce my ambition to make the story stronger and more intriguing with each instalment.

Mimir's Well has been re-released with its new cover and Hel too is now in print. Both are currently being 'catalogued' to be listed on Amazon, Barnes & Noble etc. The process takes 6-8 weeks, with patience not being one of my virtues!

Both books are also being subjected to a 'Clarion Review'. This is an independent, international appraisal which will be posted alongside the books in many publications. There's no guarantee that the review will be favourable - but if it is, then that's very positive.

Am I feeling nervous....you bet I am!

Writing tips for first timers

Okay, my second tip sounds stupidly obvious but it is worth stating merely because I can add a very heartening caveat.

Before sitting down to write, you really do need to have an idea for the beginning, the middle, and the end to your story. This doesn't just mean the plot; it also means the character profiles and any social comments or moral issues you want to get across.

While this tip may sound obvious (and a little daunting) there is a really good caveat I can add. Although you need to have a fair idea of these signposts in your tale, you don't necessarily have to have sketched out every single plot detail along the way.

Take 'Mimir's Well' forexample. Before I started writing, I laid down a wonderfully detailed plot summary and title for each and every chapter I thought I was going to write in the book. Sounds brilliant - but it wasn't. By about chapter three, character interactions were driving my creative pen way, way off course; and by chapter seven I had torn the master plan up. Sounds disasterous - but it wasn't. By allowing my characters to behave freely the story ultimately (in my opinion) became that much stronger and punchier.

The message in a nutshell is to therefore have a sound idea as to the tale you want to tell, but don't be afraid to cut lose and go with the flow.

Don't try to force your characters and storyline into a preconceived straight-jacket otherwise they will rebel!!

Happy writing....

Greg

No comments: